10 Steps to a Healthier Digestion

10 Steps to a Healthier Digestion and a HAPPIER YOU!

Do you ever feel like your food is just sitting in your stomach for hours after you eat? Or is the opposite happening, and you are running to the bathroom before you have even finished your meal? You are not alone, and there are things you can do improve the situation. Here are ten steps to take now to get to a Happier Digestion:

  1. Food Combining – When foods are combined properly, they do not sit in your stomach and rot. That rotting food feeds the bad bacteria and yeast that everyone has residing in their digestive tract. To combine food, you eat protein with vegetables or grains with vegetables, never proteins & grains together. Also, fruits should be eaten alone on an empty stomach.
  2. Fermented Foods and Drinks Containing Live Bacteria These are naturally fermented foods such as Kombucha, kefir,  fermented veggies, like sauerkraut, pickles, etc., that, when eaten, will feed the good bacteria in your gut and balance your inner ecology. Try and buy the unpasteurized version of all of these. You want the LIVING BACTERIA:)
  3. Digestive Enzymes – If you suffer with any type of indigestion,or inflammatory dis-ease, I highly suggest skipping the antacid and go for something that will work with your system and not against it. WE NEED STOMACH ACID!   Trying a digestive enzyme and/or probiotic will help with the digestion of  food and build up immunity. Come speak to me and I can help you sort out what your options are!
  4. Water – We all know we need to drink plenty of water. A little known Ayurvedic trick is to drink a glass of water 15 minutes before your meal. This will get your digestive juices flowing and your food will get digested better. Do not drink anything while you eat your meal. This impedes your digestion!
  5. 80/20 Rule – This rule is to eat until you are 80% full. That leaves 20% of the room left in your stomach for your digestion to work. No one likes that uncomfortable full feeling and your tummy will thank you if you stop just before you are full.
  6. Eat Plenty of Fiber – Your body needs fiber to carry out toxins, excess hormones, and junk. Eating lots of water-soluble fiber, found in veggies, will ensure that you get plenty of fiber. If raw vegetables are too hard for your stomach, start adding in fermented vegetables instead. Just don’t forget step #4! Drink lots of water, too, so that you don’t end up with bulky stool.
  7. Try a Short Fasting Period – Don’t worry, I am not suggesting that you don’t eat for a day. What I am suggesting is that you take some time between meals. Give your system about 3 or 4 hours to let the food get assimilated. When your gut is constantly bombarded by food all day long, it gets confused and doesn’t work properly. Give it some time to work on that last meal before you head to the kitchen for a snack.
  8. Cut Sugar and Processed Carbohydrates – These foods will feed the bad guys in your gut. Avoid them for less gas and bloating.  (You don’t want the insulin spike that comes with them either!)
  9. Try My Elimination Diet and Get Rid of Gluten – A large percentage of Americans are gluten intolerant and do not know it. Try going without and see if your digestion works any better. (Ask me about my Gluten/Grain-Free Program)
  10. Bone Broth The #1 most soothing and healing drink that you could ever ingest. Bone Broth from pasture raised bones contains all of the nutrients you need to heal your gut if it is leaky, or if you suffer from stiff joints. It also provides the minerals you need for strong bones. It’s a win-win, must-consume food! If you don’t want to drink or use the Broth, find a high quality collagen supplement.

If you incorporate some or all of the tips, you will ease in to better digestion and the tummy troubles will disappear. 

My BRAND NEW SIMPLE SPRING DETOX will be opening in March. Come learn the new and exciting information on how to heal your gut for good and avoid any type of dis-eased state!

Lots of love and “good gut practices”,